Tuesday, September 18, 2007

God's Pioneers


Here's a quick shot of the new floor. Still a lot of staining trim and the new doors, replacing all the outlets, etc., but this is a big jump ahead.

Last September was our big biennial national A/G pastors conference in Indianapolis. Between the General Council, Fine Arts Festival, outreaches, etc., there were probably 25-30,000 people there. But out of all the old friends, business meetings, inspiration, elections, worship, etc., the most profound moment for me came in the morning memorial service. For 20 minutes just with instrumental music playing they scrolled the name of every A/G credential holder who passed away in the past two years. I believe it was around 700 names? (There are 30,000+ credential holders) I read every name out of respect for them, but I was also counting the names I recognized. As they wound down I had counted less than 10 names I had heard of, and it hit me of the great legacy I walk in. Very few "big" names. Very few national leaders. But a lot of men and women who were faithful to plow in the field God placed them in. They were faithful in the big cities, country churches, and towns I've never heard of, but together they changed the world.

Many of them pastored when the A/g was on the other side of the tracks. Some of them prayed in supper at times. They pioneered when there was little infrastructure to lift their hands. No conferences, no blogs, no fancy equipment, but a passion for Jesus. Faithful.

Should Jesus tarry, I hope somewhere, in some General Council, some young pastor reads my name scroll by and says, "Thanks." So to all of those who have plowed the soil ahead of us... Thanks.

Be Refreshed!

Proverb of the Day: Proverbs 18:24 "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

Scripture of the Day: Matthew 25:21 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

Quote of the Day: "The reward of being 'faithful over a few things' is just the same as being 'faithful over many things' ; for the emphasis falls upon the same word; it is the 'faithful' who will enter 'into the joy of their Lord.'" Charles S. Robinson

No comments: