Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Junk My Car

In a world that is always trying to upgrade and keep ahead of the Joneses, I recently ran across an interesting group called THE JUNKY CAR CLUB. http://www.virb.com/junkycarclub

They list their history as: "The Junky Car Club was established in the spring of 2006 when the president of our club Mike, decided to sell his fully loaded Infiniti G35 sports car to drive a junky 1993 Toyota Camry. In an act of rebellion against consumerism and the desire to give more to worthy causes, Mike began to enlist his friends and associates to join him in this experiment of driving with less and giving more. The Junky Car Club currently has members from the US, Australia, Singapore, England, and New Zealand."

They also state, "The Junky Car Club is a car club whose members are learning to live with less so we can give more. We're a bunch of happy drivers that are politely rebelling against consumerism by driving junky cars. We encourage our members to use their dough to support social justice causes instead of making fat car payments. Junky Car Club members sponsor kids who live in poverty through Compassion International and help other great organizations."

While I'm not a card carrying member, I'm a brother in spirit. Just take a look at my 1998 Caravan with 226,000 miles, or my 1996 Villager with 116,000. Hopefully neither are too "junky". We try to keep them up and clean. We have great credit and I could easily go get a loan for a new car today, but we've intentionally made a different value call.

You can tell a lot about a person by looking at their checkbook and their calender. Where do you spend your money and time? They cut through all the good intentions and philosophical ramblings. They speak loudly,"Here is what I value."

So you're homework today is to take an inventory of the temporal and the eternal. Make some asset reallocations. Diversify your portfolio with an emphasis on long term yield. Very longgggg term yield.

Their motto is, "Living with less, so we can give more." hmmmm..... Sounds like a pretty radical Christian idea.

Be Refreshed!


Proverb of the Day: Proverbs 2:11 "Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you."

Scripture of the Day: James 3:13 "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."

Quote of the Day: "Such a blessed people should be a thankful people." Cotton Mather

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, and I have been doing a lot of listening to Dave Ramsey. My 1998 Dodge Caravan had about 135,000 miles on it, it is still comfortable to drive and I cannot see myself buying a new car. Used will be just fine...besides I drive less than 5 miles to work, so it will last a long time,

William Mills said...

Do you remember my 83 Olds Delta 88 I had at Sandwich? We drove that well over 100,000 till it finally passed away. Bethel has hosted Dave Ramsey's FPU twice here in Sycamore.

Anonymous said...

I remember that you always wanted a LandRover...the real kind!!! I would like to hear some of FPU sometime, but it is usually on a Wednesday when I am at church. We are working at some of his principles.