Friday, October 12, 2007

Jeannine Aeikens



We buried another one of our Bethel Saints today. Jeannine Aeikens went home early on Monday and we gathered today to celebrate her life and hope in Christ. (She's second from the right in the picture above.)

The picture is from our Sr Saint lunch cruise last fall. That was a great day and Jeannine was her normal mischievous self. All the ladies I've talked to this week about Jeannine have talked about that cruise. It was a midweek/midday lunch fall cruise so it wasn't very crowded. They had a banjo player who they talked into playing "When the Saints Go Marching In". The next thing you know some of them hop into a Jericho March around the dining room. They were the hit of the cruise. And when the two hour cruise was over her carload of ladies took off up the river for more adventure while the rest of us headed home.

Sonya & I were privileged to share a few of her last hours in the ICU with her and her family on Sunday. She was alert and knew her time was short, but she was at peace and ready to go. She trusted Jesus in life and now was trusting Him in death. It's hard to do a funeral for someone you love like Jeannine, but it's harder when you know there's a good chance they hadn't prepared for eternity. Jeannine was ready to go. At the funeral I read the verses from this song that has been going through my head all week.

All I once held dear built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

(Chorus:)
Knowing you, Jesus knowing you
There is no greater thing
You're my all you're the best
You're my joy, my righteousness
And I love you ,lord

Now my heart's desire is to know you more
To be found in you, and known as yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All surpassing gift of righteousness

(Chorus)

Oh to know the power of your risen life
And to know you in your suffering
To become like you in your death my Lord
So with You to live
And never die

(Chorus)
Be Refreshed!


Proverb of the Day: Proverbs 12:4 "A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones."

Scripture of the Day: 1 Corinthians 15:55-57 "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Quote of the Day: "He whose head is in heaven need not fear to put his feet into the grave." Matthew Henry

No comments: