Monday, September 8, 2008

Back to Church

Here's how good the Back to Church picnic was yesterday...
I took my camera to the picnic but I was so relaxed in my chair that I couldn't muster up the energy to stand up and go take pictures. Now that's a good picnic. Low 70's, mostly sunny, soft breeze, lots of great food, football, volleyball, inflatable jump house, more food, my best friends.
Good times.

We started our fall sermon series yesterday, "The House God Loves." Our theme verse is Matthew 21:13a where Jesus says, "It is written," he said to them, " 'My house will be called a house of prayer,'"

Mark Twain said, "Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." I think sometimes many Christians fall into the same boat with prayer. We can talk about it and know we need to do it, but do we actually do it? To help us do something about it, here are our prayer opportunities for this church year.

Sundays:
-Prayer in Sunday School Classes
-Anointing with oil during worship
-Open altars
-Prayer and Praises in p.m. services
-Monthly suppers for Eight where you pray for each other in your homes

Mondays: Ladies prayer at 8:30 a.m.
Tuesdays: All church prayer 7-8 p.m.
Wednesdays: Praise and prayer twice a month at 7 p.m.
Prayer and Bible study the other two nights
Thursdays: Open Sanctuary from 6-8 a.m.

Proverb of the Day: Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me. [wisdom]

Scripture of the Day: Acts 2:42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Quotes of the Day: "I have seen many men work without praying, though I have never seen any good come out of it; but I have never seen a man pray without working." Hudson Taylor

"This much is sure in all churches, forgetting party labels; the smallest meeting numerically is the prayer- meeting. If weak in prayer we are weak everywhere." Leonard Ravenhill

"Have you noticed how much praying for revival has been going on of late - and how little revival has resulted? I believe the problem is that we have been trying to substitute praying for obeying, and it simply will not work. To pray for revival while ignoring the plain precept laid down in Scripture is to waste a lot of words and get nothing for our trouble. Prayer will become effective when we stop using it as a substitute for obedience." A. W. Tozer

"If you are strangers to prayer you are strangers to power." Billy Sunday

No comments: